Orange Mandarin Chicken Salad (with DIY Ginger dressing)
Looking for a way to spice up your salad entree game?! This Orange Mandarin Chicken Salad (with DIY Ginger dressing) is simple and full of flavor. Serve it with grilled chicken as an entree, or without chicken as an appetizer salad or side salad. Eat it with your favorite store-bought ginger or Asian sesame vinaigrette OR make my DIY ginger dressing (scroll ALL the way down to get the ginger dressing recipe)!
This ginger dressing is inspired by the ginger dressing served at Benihana (which, if you don't know, is a delicious restaurant serving Japanese cuisine). It can be made and stored in a mason jar (or otherwise sealed container) for up to a week in the fridge!
What You'll Need:
- 1 head of Romaine lettuce, chopped (this should yield about 5 cups)
- 1/3 red or purple cabbage head shredded (this should yield about 2 cups)
- 1 cup shredded carrots* (I buy my carrots already shredded)
- 1 1/2 cups of canned mandarin oranges (to keep this healthy as possible, look for oranges in light syrup or water and avoid oranges in corn syrup)
- Chopped or shredded chicken (amount will vary based on your preference)
- Salad dressing (see Ginger Miso dressing ingredients below)
- Wash, rinse, and finely chop romaine lettuce and cabbage. Toss together, with shredded carrots, in a large mixing bowl. Add in 1 cup of canned mandarine oranges.
- Serve and top with chicken and salad dressing of choice!
Delicious Ginger DIY Dressing
What You'll Need:
- 1/2 cup onion, minced or finely chopped
- 1/3 c. extra virgin olive oil
- 1/3 c. rice vinegar
- 3 tbsp. water
- 2 tbsp. fresh ginger, minced (dried ginger will work as well!)
- 2 tbsp. finely chopped celery
- 2 tbsp. organic ketchup
- 1 tbsp. soy sauce or tamiri (*Tamiri is a gluten-free version of soy sauce)
- 2 tbsp. organic white sugar
- 2 tbsp. lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. pepper
Add all ingredients into a blender or Blendtec and pulse for 30 seconds--or until pureed to your liking.