Black Bean Veggie Burgers
It's finally SUNNY and warm here in Oregon, which means I'm craving burgers on the patio with a big jug of homemade lemonade! Who's with me?!
This past weekend, my husband and I had the sweetest backyard "date" to enjoy the first sunshine of the season! I made traditional beef patties for him, and black bean burgers for me. He was skeptical at first, "you're eating bean burgers?!" but after smelling (and tasting) my delicious creation, he agreed: these burger patties are SO good! (Plus, they're high in protein and curated with the perfect flavors of garlic, onion, and cumin.)
These burger patties pair well with other burger accoutrement--a fluffy bun, a juicy tomato, avocado, pickles, you name it! They're easy enough to throw on the grill in minutes or (if the grill intimidates you as it does me) you can pop them into the oven!
What You'll Need:
- 1 (16 oz.) can organic black beans, drained and rinsed
- ½ green bell pepper, chopped
- 3/4 yellow onion, finely chopped
- 1 Tbsp. EVOO
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 egg
- 1 Tbsp. cumin
- 1 Tbsp. chili powder
- ½ tsp. garlic salt
- ¼ tsp. good black pepper
- ½ cup seasoned breadcrumbs (to make this gluten-free, opt for a GF version)
- If you’re grilling, preheat the outdoor grill for high heat. Lightly oil a sheet of aluminum foil. If you’re baking, preheat the oven to 375-degrees
- In a small sautéing pan, combine EVOO and chopped onion over medium heat. Cook for 3-4 minutes, until fragrant. Then, remove onion from heat.
- In a mixing bowl, use a fork or potato masher to crush beans until they become paste-like.
- Place onion, garlic cloves, and bell pepper into a food processor or blender and pulse. Then, add mixture into black-bean paste.
- In another bowl, whisk together egg, chili powder, cumin, pepper, and garlic salt. Add the egg mixture into the black beans. Add in bread crumbs until the mixture holds together. Divide into four patties.
- If you’re using the grill, place patties on the foil and cook for 7-9 minutes on each side. If you’re baking, place patties on a baking sheet and bake for 9-11 minutes on each side.
- Enjoy in your favorite bun with other burger accouterment —avocado, onion, tomato, ketchup, pickles, BBQ sauce, etc.