Move over kale. Turmeric is making a debut.
Okay, turmeric has been popular in some circles for a long time and it's older than the dickens. But recently, it has made a big splash into the minds of mainstream health conscious - and for GOOD reason!
Background: Turmeric is an ancient superfood in the ginger family that grows wild in South and Southeast Asia. For a long time, it has been used in alternative medicine practices to treat everything from indigestion to throat infections and common colds. But recently, turmeric has gained popularity because it turns of the NF-kappa B protein in our body which triggers inflammation. (Source.)
Why do we care about inflammation, you ask? Basically, we care because inflammation negatively effects SO MANY PEOPLE and it's been linked to a variety of health defects--ranging from the annoying stuff (like skin issues/acne) to the bad stuff (ADHD, arthritis, joint problems, bowel problems) to the worst stuff (DNA damage leading to cancer, heart disease).
Dietitians and nutritionists agree that food is a big cause in inflammation. Specifically, food with added sugars, refined carbohydrates, and with preservatives and dyes can cause inflammation. In other words, like 99% of the food we consume can lead to inflammation. Yikes.
All of this information can be summed up by this: Inflammation is bad. The food we eat contributes to inflammation. Turmeric fights inflammation. YAY turmeric!
This dairy-free/paleo/vegan "milkshake" is a great way to get that turmeric into your diet. It's smooth, creamy, and oh-so-tasty. This recipe makes approximately 2 servings. Enjoy!
What You’ll Need:
- 1 cup unsweetened almond or hemp milk
- 1/2 cup coconut milk, full fat (for vegan)
- 1 frozen or fresh banana
- 1/2 cup fresh chopped mango
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground turmeric
- 1 tablespoon almond butter
- 2 tablespoons golden flaxseed meal
- Pinch of ground cinnamon, adjust to taste
- Pinch of sea salt, adjust to taste
- Combine all of the ingredients in a powerful blender or food processor. Pulse until thoroughly blended into a “milkshake” texture.
Smoothie Benefits: Did You Know?
- Banana: Digestion aid, potassium packed (Source)
- Turmeric: Majorly anti-inflammatory, antioxidant-filled, free-radical-fighting, cholesterol-lowering (Source)
- Mangoes: Antioxidant rich, proven to protect against colon cancer, breast cancer, leukemia, and prostate cancer, lowers cholesterol, and clears up the ski (Source)