Lentil Bruschetta Crostini
These past few weeks have been a blur of crowded gatherings around the table, rich sugar cookies shaped like candy canes, second helpings of homemade macaroni, and lots of laughs. Usually, I spend the week between Christmas and New Years planning my goals for the next season: what am I going to change, or start, or pursue? What are my resolutions?
This year, however, I'm slowing things down.
I'm resisting the urge to obsess over next steps, and instead, I'm savoring the moments I have today by visiting with relatives in town from out of state, playing cards with my husband late into the night, and relishing in the lights on the Christmas tree just a little longer.
This recipe is easy, healthy, and delicious any time of year--but it's my go-to right now, for when I want to spend less time in the kitchen and more time with the people I love! I shared it on AM Northwest last week, and it was a crowd favorite. It's made with pre-steamed lentils, bruschetta, and a variety of tasty veggies. You can eat it as a dip, or spread it onto toasted french bread or a baguette in appetizer form.
What You’ll Need:
- 3 cups steamed lentils (My favorite brand, pictured below, is sold at Trader Joe's)
- 1 ½ cup bruschetta sauce (I use Trader Joe's brand because it's preservative-free, but any jar of bruschetta sauce will do!)
- 2 cups assorted grape or cherry tomatoes
- 1 minced garlic clove
- 1 cup coarsely chopped kale
- 1 tbsp. EVOO
- 1-2 Tbsp. balsamic vinegar
- ½ cup chopped jicama
- ½ cup chopped green bell pepper
- ½ cup chopped cucumber
- feta cheese, for topping
- Crostini, French bread, or crackers for serving
- Combine steamed lentils, bruschetta sauce, olive oil, and vinegar. Add in minced garlic clove. Mix gently in a large bowl and set aside.
- Chop kale into small bits and place in a medium bowl. Chop tomatoes in half and add into the bowl. Chop jicama, bell pepper, and cucumber into small bits and toss in with tomatoes and kale.
- Gently combine ingredients in both bowls. Mix thoroughly.
- Slice crostini or French bread into 1/2-inch pieces. (Optional: toast at 425-degrees F. for five minutes.) Spoon mixture of lentils and vegetables onto bread and serve as an appetizer--or, allow guests to dip crackers, chips, or bread into bowl as a sort of dip. Enjoy! Store in an airtight continuer for up to two days.