Oozy-Gooey Mummy Brownies
Looking for something fun to prepare for Halloween?! I’ve got you covered. These mummy brownies are the perfect spooooky dessert! (Not to mention, they can be made vegan and gluten-free – without sacrificing taste! So they’re a real treat if you ask me!)
Chocolatey Chunk Brownies
*This recipe makes a 9x13” batch of brownies
What You’ll Need:
- 2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour (to make these babies gluten-free, use Bob’s Red Mill 1:1 Baking Flour – the BLUE and clear packaging)
- 1 ½ cups white sugar
- ½ cup light brown sugar
- ½ cup cocoa powder
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- ¼ cup almond milk
- 3 eggs (to make these vegan, make 3 flax eggs*)
- 1 cup vegetable oil or Eath Balance (melted)
- 1 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Preheat the oven to 350-degrees F. Prepare a 9x13” baking pan with your favorite nonstick spray.
- In a large bowl, mix together the dry ingredients: the flour, sugars, cocoa powder, salt, and baking powder. Whisk until thoroughly blended.
- In a sepate bowl, combine almond milk, eggs or flax eggs, and vegetable oil or Eath Balance.
- Combine the dry and wet ingredients using a handheld mixer on “low” speed. Spread batter into the baking pan and bake for approximately 25 minutes,being careful not to overcook.
For the Frosting:
What You'll Need:
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- 3 tbsp. softened Earth Balance or coconut shortening
- 4-6 tbsp. warm Almond Milk
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- Add the powdered sugar, vanilla extract, and Earth Balance or shortening to a mixing bowl and blend until incorporated. Add in 2 tbsp. of the warm almond milk and blend on low, then 2 more tbsp. until a thick frosting begins to form. Add 2 more tbsp. of almond milk if you want a thinner frosting.
You can use this frosting immediately, or store in a sealed container for a week in the refrigerator. Enjoy!
To Assemble the Mummy Brownies:
Scoop the frosting into a large Ziploc bag. Cut a small corner off one of the bottom sides, and squeeze the frosting out of that corner. Frost a cooled brownie from left to right to make it into a “mummy”.
I used the Wilton brand of candy eyeballs for my Mummy eyes. Find them here!