Paleo Sausage & Sweet Potato Bowl
If you follow me on Instagram (@tiff.kent) you’ve probably seen me post about my hunk of a husband. He’s a former pro athlete and a giant of a guy—so he’s all about hearty, tasty recipes. When we first started dating it was difficult to find meals that made us both happy, but over the years I’ve created a good combination of hearty + healthy menu options that we both love – and this Paleo Bowl is one of our absolute favorites!
This bowl is savory with the subtle sweetness of dried cranberries and fresh apple chunks. It smells divine and it’s super-duper filling. Sometimes I add in other tidbits I find in my kitchen (slivered almonds, bacon, marble potatoes) but other times I stick to my basic recipe (below). In any case, this is a meal you can play around with, and you can enjoy for breakfast, lunch, or dinner!
What You’ll Need:
- Extra virgin olive oil, as needed (or, your preferred cooking oil of choice or ghee)
- ½ yellow onion, chopped into small (1/4-inch pieces)
- 1 lb. chicken or pork sausage
- 4 oz. spicy chorizo sausage
- 2 large sweet potatoes, skinned and diced
- 4 Tbsp. chicken or vegetable broth
- ¾ cup dried cranberries
- 1 tart apple, peeled, cored, and chopped
- 3-4 medium ribbed celery stalks, chopped into small ¼-inch chunks
- ½ tsp. paprika
- ½ tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. red pepper flakes
- ½ tsp. garlic powder (or more, to taste)
- ½ tbsp. fresh rosemary
- Spinach (plus, olive oil for sautéing)
- 1-2 fried eggs
- herbs of choice
*EVOO= extra virgin olive oil
- Preheat the oven to 450-degrees F.
- Peel and chop potatoes into small ¼-inch chunks. Toss with 1-2 Tbsp. EVOO and rosemary. Roast for 30-35 minutes until lightly browned and tender. When finished, set aside. (TIP: I usually make the potatoes the night before and store them, cooked, in the refrigerator, so I can just skip this step in the morning.)
- In a large sautéing pan, drizzle 1 tbsp. EVOO. Add in chopped onion and sauté until fragrant, about 3-4 minutes, over medium heat. Turn heat up and add in sausage and paprika, salt, pepper flakes, and garlic. Turn until sausage is browned on all sides.
- Add in chopped celery, chopped apple, and cranberries to the sausage mixture—along with 4 tbsp. chicken or vegetable broth. Add in cooked potatoes. Mix everything together. Turn heat to low and sauté covered for an additional 15-20 minutes to allow flavors to immerse.
- At this point, you can enjoy the dish as is, or sauté 2 cups of spinach in 1 tbsp. EVOO in a different sautéing pan to serve with your hash. Top with avocado, a fried egg, or additional herbs. Enjoy!