No-Bake Peanut Butter Protein Bites
Back by popular demand… my No-Bake Peanut Butter Protein Bites!
My uncle is a veteran firefighter and paramedic, and I so admire his hard work! To show him some love, I decided to drop off some of my Peanut Butter Protein Bites to his station... less than 3 hours later, I was getting messages from fellow firefighters asking for the recipe! I was told that I should label these “firefighter approved.” :)
These are fantastic and tasty little protein bites—perfect for a hike, a mid-afternoon snack, or putting out fires. Plus, they are SO easy to make, and you can really make them your own by playing around with the “Optional” ingredients!
Note: This recipe makes 2 ½ dozen (30) 1” balls. I store them in an airtight container for up to 10 days. They do not need to be refrigerated, and can be frozen and thawed if necessary.
What You’ll Need:
- 1 cup peanut butter (try to use a brand that is thoroughly mixed and does not have oil on top) -my favorite brand of the moment is Earth Balance Creamy Natural
- 1 cup dry old fashioned oatmeal
- 1/3 cup organic honey
- 1 tablespoon organic brown sugar or coconut sugar
- 1 tablespoon melted coconut oil
- ½ cup unsweetened shredded coconut flakes
- ¼ cup ground flaxseed (usually located in the health foods or refrigerated section)
- ¾ cup chocolate chips (Enjoy Life chocolate chips are amazing if you’re looking for a vegan option)
- In a microwave safe bowl, combine peanut butter, honey, and coconut oil. Microwave 30-40 seconds, or until coconut oil has melted. Use a spatula to mix the ingredients. Then, transfer to a large mixing bowl. (You can also do this on the stovetop if you'd prefer.)
- Add old fashioned oats, brown sugar or coconut sugar, coconut flakes, and flaxseed to the peanut butter mixture. Mix by hand for 2-3 minutes until a consistent “batter” forms. Then add in chocolate chips and any optional ingredients. (I typically add in 1 tablespoon of both flaxseed and hemp hearts.) Mix thoroughly.
- Using a tablespoon measurer or a regular spoon, form small balls. Place the balls directly into a storage container if you plan to store or give them away—or onto a wax or parchment paper surface. Enjoy!