Rustic Raspberry Tart with a Lemon Cookie Crust (GF + Paleo + Vegan)
Maybe it's just me, but I find something so soul-satisfying about rustic homemade desserts... I love cobblers, tarts, and crumbles for this reason. Sure, they're messy; but they're also perfectly comfortable and homey.
When guests come over to my house, I like them to feel casual, welcomed, and part of the family--so I gravitate toward these types of sweets.
This recipe is one of my personal favorites: it's got a lemony cookie-like crust, a tart raspberry filling, and a crunchy, earthy topping. I demonstrated it recently at Bob's Red Mill Cooking School and it was a total hit! Note: it's good with the Crumble topping, but it's divine when you top it with my favorite Maple Buckwheat Granola!
What You’ll Need:
For the Crust:
- 2 cups almond flour or almond meal
- 4 tablespoons coconut oil
- ½ lemon, juiced
- ½ tbsp. almond extract
- 1 tbsp. pure grade A maple syrup
- ½ tsp. sea salt
- 1 tbsp. water if needed
For the Filling:
- 12 oz. raspberries (Fresh or frozen)
- ½ pure maple syrup
- ½ lemon, juiced
For the Crumb Topping:
- 2 cup chopped almonds
- ½ cup unsweetened flaked or shredded coconut
- 2 tbsp. maple syrup
...OR, top with the BEST Maple Buckwheat Granola!
- Preheat oven to 350-degrees F.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the crust ingredients: almond meal, coconut oil, lemon, almond extract, maple syrup, and sea salt to create a paste. Add in water if the mixture is too crumbly to assure you get the paste.
- Spread the paste-like crust onto the bottom of a prepared 8x8 pan.
- Bake for 12 minutes until crust is fragrant and golden, then remove it from the oven and allow it to cool.
- While crust is cooling, prepare raspberry filling by combining maple syrup, lemon, and raspberries in a small saucepan over medium heat. Stir with a wooden spoon, then turn the heat to high. When the mixture begins to boil, reduce heat to low for 10 minutes. The sauce should thicken some.
- Pour the raspberry mixture over cooled crust.
- Mix together crumble toppings in a bowl and sprinkle over the raspberry mixture. OR, optional: top with (THE BEST!) Maple Buckwheat Granola!
- Bake an additional 20 minutes. When the tart has finished cooling, enjoy!