The change from summer to autumn means so many things to me… cozy sweaters (which are so comfy on my 32 week baby bump!), leaves changing colors, and the start of soup and stew season! I love hearty, filling recipes that my husband and I can both enjoy—and I especially love when prep time is minimal (have I mentioned I’m very pregnant and tired?! Ha!)
Today, I’m sharing a simple, rustic, hearty stew that your whole family will love—and I'm sharing it in partnership with Standard TV & Appliance! This recipe can easily be made on your stovetop with minimal prep time! (PS… all of our kitchen appliances are from Standard TV & Appliance and we love them! If you need a new appliance, be sure to check them out. They’ll meet or beat any competitor price and they’ve been a staple in the Portland area since 1947!)
Anyway, back to today’s recipe… It is easy, healthy, and delicious!
What You’ll Need:
- 2 lbs grassfedd ground beef stew
- 6 large carrots, peeled and chopped into ½-inch chunks
- 6 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 can organic corn
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1 small yellow onion, chopped
- 1 can green beans, drained
- 4 large potatoes (no need to peel), chopped into ¾-inch chunks
- 1 (15 oz.) can of diced tomatoes (or stewed tomatoes, if you prefer large pieces)
- Low sodium beef broth – enough to cover your vegetables (I used about 32 oz.)
- Ground black pepper to taste
- 1/8 teaspoon ground thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- ½ tsp. garlic powder
- ½ tsp. sea salt (or more, to taste)
- Peel and chop the onion into small pieces (this is the hardest part!).
- Then, drizzle some olive oil into a large sautéing pan and add in the chopped onion. After a minute, add the ground beef to the pan and cook over medium heat until no longer pink; then, turn off and set aside. The onion should cook along with the beef and their flavors will immerse.
- Chop carrots, celery, and potatoes and place them in a large boiling pot. Add in canned tomatoes and beef broth, pepper, thyme, bay leaf, garlic powder, and sea salt. Turn heat to high and bring to a boil (or near boil) for about 20 minutes, or until potatoes and carrots are tender to the touch.
- Add in green beans, corn, peas, and the cooked ground beef and onions to the beef broth mixture and turn heat to medium. Cook another 10 minutes. Taste and add any additional seasonings and then serve. Enjoy!