I love my Southwestern Stuffed Bell Peppers because they are incredibly easy to make and they’re so very pretty on the plate! Plus, they’re healthy, cheap, and they satisfy my insatiable desire for Southwestern + Mexican food. ;-)
Lately, I’ve been experimenting with cauliflower rice (because it’s lower carb and full of fiber, omega-3, manganese, and biotin)! These delicious stuffed peppers are so good that you won’t even know they’re grain-free! These are sure to be loved by everyone at your table! *I buy cauliflower rice pearls at Trader Joes, New Season's, or Whole Foods. To make cauliflower rice, simply take a whole head of cauliflower, chop it into quarters, and blend until it becomes the size of small rice 'pearls'.
What You’ll Need:
- 6 large bell peppers
- 1 lb. lean ground turkey
- 2 Tbsp. EVOO (or other cooking oil of choice)
- 1 package of your favorite taco seasoning (I prefer Simple Truth Organic)
- 2 tablespoons chopped yellow onion
- 2 cups cauliflower rice
- ¾ cup black beans
- 1 jalapeño pepper, seeds removed, finely chopped
- One 14.5 oz. can Muir Glen Organic Fire Roasted Diced Tomatoes
- ¾ cup shredded Mexican Cheese (sub for Daya cheese for dairy-free option)
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Optional: top with additional cheese, cilantro, or hot sauce!
- Preheat oven to 350-degrees F.
- On a medium sautéing pan, combine 1 Tbsp. EVOO and chopped onion. Add in ground turkey and Simple Truth Organic Taco seasoning after 2 minutes and cook (turning frequently) until meat is done (no longer pink).
- In another sautéing pan, combine remaining 1 Tbsp. EVOO and cauliflower rice. Season with chili powder, garlic powder, and salt. Cover and let simmer for 5-8 minutes, or until rice is tender.
- Combine cooked turkey and rice into one sautéing pan or a large mixing bowl. Add in black beans, marinara sauce, chopped jalapeño, and shredded cheese. Mix thoroughly.
- Prepare the bell peppers: wash each bell pepper and cut the top off just below the stem. Remove seeds. Spoon a mixture of the turkey-cauliflower rice into each pepper and fill to the top.
- Place bell peppers into a prepared baking dish, standing upright. Top with additional cheese, if you prefer.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes, until peppers are tender enough to be punctured with a fork. Let cool and then serve!