J (my sweet husband) and I recently moved. Well, actually, we moved into our new-to-us home about a month ago, but it was under a complete remodel, so we couldn’t really “live” in the house until this past week. (The kitchen didn’t even get a faucet until last week, we had no working appliances, etc.) We spent most of our days eating out—for every single meal.
Now before I go on, let me just say, I’m the type of person who likes a date night out every now and then. I enjoy trying new restaurants and exploring the city. But every single meal out for several weeks?! That became exhausting. (And expensive!) We were both craving a home cooked meal and it was killing me that I couldn’t make something from scratch! A few friends probably noticed I was going crazy and dropped off ready-made meals, and my ma-in-law brought us some homemade quiche.
I especially liked the quiche because breakfast was the hardest meal to go out for. We could pop the quiche into our temporary microwave on a paper plate and – voila! A homemade meal was ready!
Now that my kitchen is up and running, I was inspired to make my own quiche. I threw together things I knew my husband loved (some bacon for protein; some kale for the nutrients). It was easy and delicious! It’s the perfect thing to keep in the refrigerator for a rushed morning, and it’s decadent enough to serve to a sit-down breakfast on Easter!
What You’ll Need:
- 1 ready-made pie crust (I used the Immaculate brand from Whole Foods because they're free from bleached flour, artificial flavors, preservatives, and hydrogenated oils0
- 1 cup organic cream
- 5 eggs, slightly whisked
- 8 slices of bacon, cooked and crumbled or cut into ½-inch pieces
- ¾ cup shredded Cheddar cheese
- ¾ cup shredded Swiss cheese
- ¼ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 cup frozen kale
- ½ tsp. sea salt
- ½ tsp. pepper
- ¼ tsp. garlic powder
- Set one pie crust out on the counter (keep it rolled up) to get to room temperature for about 25 minutes.
- Heat the oven to 350-degrees F. Lightly grease or spray a 9-inch pie pan. (If you watched me make this on my Instagram videos @tiff.kent, you saw that I used a larger pie pan and combined two pie crusts. That’s an option, too!)
- In a mixing bowl, combine cream, eggs, kale, and bacon. Add in salt, pepper, and garlic. Set aside.
- Place pie crust in prepared pie dish. Press crust so it forms to the edges of the dish, then pour in egg mixture. Sprinkle with additional cheese if you'd like!
- Bake 45-55 minutes, or until a knife inserted into the center comes out clean. Let stand for 10 minutes before serving. Enjoy!