When my husband and I were first dating, we were in Costco (romantic, I know!) when he picked up a container of Tabbouleh. I had never heard or seen the stuff before - but he was adamant: "You have to taste Tabbouleh! I love this stuff!" I remember trying it and I was instantly hooked! It was so refreshing, so flavorful, and so healthy!
Tabbouleh is a traditional middle eastern salad - also eaten as a sort of dip (think chips with salsa). It's incredibly good for you and so very refreshing. In fact, Tabbouleh is high in protein, high in fiber, and low in fat - which makes it perfect for your next Meatless Monday meal! Or, pair it with Halibut or Chicken as a nice side dish.
The best part about this recipe is that it takes just 30 minutes to prepare. If you're trying to lighten up in the new year, add this to your recipe rolodex! It's incredibly tasty!
What You’ll Need:
- ½ cup bulgur wheat* I used the 365-brand Organic Whole Grain Bulgur Wheat
- 2 cups finely chopped parsley
- ½ cup finely chopped mint leaves
- 1 can Muir Glen organic diced tomatoes, drained or 10 tomatoes, diced
- 1 small red onion, finely chopped
- 1 small bunch green onion, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon Extra Virgin Olive Oil or Avocado Oil
- 3 lemons, juiced
- 1/2 cucumber, chopped
- ½ tsp. garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp. sea salt (or more, to taste)
- Boil the bulgur wheat according to package directions. The brand I used took only 10 minutes to cook. When it is finished cooking, take bulgur off heat and cover for 10-20 minutes. "Fluff" the bulgur wheat using a spoon or fork ever 4-5 minutes.
- Rinse and pat-dry parsley, mint leaves, tomatoes, cucumber, and onions. Then, chop the herbs and vegetables finely and toss together in a large mixing bowl. Add in bulgur wheat and mix thoroughly.
- Add to the mixture the oil, lemon juice, garlic powder, and sea salt. Taste, and add more lemon juice or salt according to your liking. Then, serve and enjoy!