Zesty Lime Tortilla Soup
Recently, I went on a (FABULOUS) weekend getaway with a big group of my favorite women. Why am I telling you this?! Well, I volunteered to make our dinner, and I needed to make something that 1) fed a bunch of people 2) tasted delicious 3) stored well, and 4) was easy to prepare. Luckily, this Zesty Tortilla Soup fit all of those categories and it was a total hit!
If you've had tortilla soup before, you know that "typical" tortilla soup is made with chicken or ground beef. In my attempt at being healthy--and because I get sick of the same-old soup recipes--I switched things up and opted for a lean ground turkey, cutting out a ton of fat, but leaving in a ton of protein! This soup can be made in a crockpot or on the stovetop. Just note that it gets better the longer the flavors simmer together—so if you really want to wow! a crowd, you should consider letting it cook at a lower temperature for longer. *See cooking options below in the "Method" section.
This recipe serves 4-6 people; I tripled the recipe for our girls’ trip.
Here’s what you’ll need:
- 2 32 oz. containers of organic chicken broth (I use Pacific Foods brand)
- 16 oz. container low fat organic ground turkey (I used turkey that was 99% fat-free)
- 2 (15 ounce) cans of Muir Glen Fire Roasted tomatoes
- 1 (15 ounce) can of black beans
- 1 (15 ounce) can whole kernel corn, drained
- ½ onion, skin removed and chopped into small pieces
- 2 small limes, juiced – or 1 tablespoon and 1 teaspoon of lime juice
- 1 tablespoon cilantro, chopped
- ½ tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 package Simply Organic taco seasoning—or your favorite brand of taco seasoning
- ½ teaspoon minced garlic
- ¼ teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon chili powder
- salt and pepper to taste
- Additional: Monterey jack cheese, low-fat sour cream, sliced avocado, tortillas, and lime for topping!
1. Drizzle ½ Tbsp. of EVOO in a large frying pan. Add in ground turkey, chopped onion, and entire packet of taco seasoning. Turn head to medium and sauté with a wooden spatula, turning meat, until it is thoroughly cooked. Then, set the meat aside.
2. Add ALL remaining ingredients into a slow-cooker, then add in cooked meat. Set to “low” for 6 hours. OR, if cooking stovetop, add all ingredients into a large boiling pot with a lid. Turn heat to medium and cook, stirring occasionally, for 30 minutes.
Serve with your choice of sour cream, cheese, avocado, and/or tortillas!
Bonus: If you want to eliminate time in the kitchen, throw ALL ingredients (even raw meat) into a slow cooker on HIGH for 6 hours and enjoy!