Kale and Spinach Lasagna with a Creamy Garlic Sauce
FALL IS HERE!!! (Okay, not technically - but in my mind and in my heart, autumn is upon us!) And as such, I’m in the mood for hearty recipes. Enter… LASAGNA! THIS is a great vegetarian option that is light, but filling, and made healthier with the addition spinach and kale. Sometimes I add chicken into this recipe if I want it to be extra filling, or if my husband is extra hungry. You can do so by buying a rotisserie chicken and shredding it, then mixing in the chicken with the spinach and kale!
I prepared this recipe in the Wolf Kitchen at Standard TV & Appliance. Wolf ranges have those gorgeous red knobs we all love! Wolf appliances also have a sealed burner system, which makes small areas easy to clean. They have great heat control and consistent temperatures, which generates moist heats that cooks evenly—a MUST for lasagna and any other recipe!
What You’ll Need:
· 9 lasagna noodles
· ½ cup grass-fed butter
· 1 cup chopped mushrooms
· 1 small onion, finely chopped
· 2 cloves garlic, minced
· ½ cup all-purpose flour
· 1 tsp. salt
· 2 cups vegetable broth
· 1 ½ cups milk
· 4 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
· 2 cup shredded or grated parmesan cheese
· 1 tsp. dried basil
· 1 tsp. dried oregano
· 1 tsp. ground pepper
· ½ tsp. red pepper flakes
· 2 cups whole milk ricotta cheese
· 1 ½ cups frozen chopped spinach, thawed and drained
· 1 ½ cups frozen chopped kale, thawed and drained
· 1 tsp. chopped fresh parsley
· 1/3 cup breadcrumbs, toasted
1. Preheat the oven to 350-degrees F.
2. In a large sautéing pan, melt the butter and add to it garlic and onion. Cook for 2-3 minutes. Add the mushrooms. Pour in the milk and broth, then add in half (2 cups) of the mozzarella cheese and half of the parmesan cheese (1 cup). Stir until combined. Add in oregano, basil, red pepper, salt, and pepper.
3. Boil the lasagna noodles (or opt for no-bake noodles, found at your local grocery store).
4. Mix the egg, ricotta, and parsley.
5. Toast the breadcrumbs stovetop on a nonstick pan for 2-3 minutes. Set aside.
6. Thaw and drain the spinach and kale, combining in a bowl.
7. To layer: Pour some of the cheesy garlic sauce across a 9x12 lasagna dish—just enough to cover the bottom. Place one layer of noodles on top. Cover the noodles with ricotta cheese mixture, then sprinkle the spinach and kale on top. Pour a layer of the sauce to cover the greens, then layer with another layer of noodles. On top of the second set of noodles, spread remaining ricotta and kale-spinach mixture. Add some of the sauce. Top with remaining noodles and pour remaining sauce over the top. Add cheese to the final layer, and toasted breadcrumbs.
8. Bake 35-40 minutes in a preheated oven. Sprinkle with fresh parsley just before serving and enjoy!