"Skinny" Creamy Taco Soup
Spring is here and summer is JUST around the corner—and that means people everywhere are thinking about ways to get in shape!
While I believe we should be valued by what’s on the inside and not our waistline, I am ALL ABOUT empowering people to feel more confident about their bodies in a way that is healthy.
One way I stay on track with my weight and maintain a lean figure is by eating wholesome, nutrient-dense foods that have a healthy amount of protein. (Protein, after all, is what keeps us feeling full!)
This Creamy Taco Soup is high in protein, low in fat, and contains “good carbs” to give you energy for the things you love to do! I use primarily organic ingredients and Toby’s Lite Ranch—which is locally sourced (made with yogurt from Nancy’s Yogurt). The truth is, when I eat well, I feel good.
This Creamy Taco Soup really is as good as it sounds. It’s zesty, refreshing, and mouthwateringly tasty! It’s perfect for a hearty lunch of filling dinner and it’s almost better the day after you make it, after flavors have melded together. My husband loads his soup up with feta cheese, a squeeze of lime, and crushed tortilla chips. I top mine with cilantro and avocado. You could also top it with olives, sour cream, chopped jalapeños—make it your own!
What You’ll Need:
- 32 oz. organic chicken broth (one standard container – I like Pacific and Simple Truth Organic)
- One can of organic black beans
- One jar of Muir Glen organic diced tomatoes, fire roasted
- One jar of organic corn
- One red or green bell pepper, chopped into fine pieces
- ½ red onion, peeled and chopped into fine pieces
- 1 “standard” (approx. 20-ounce) package of organic ground turkey, 93% lean*
- 1 lime, juiced
- 1 ½ tablespoon chili powder
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 jar of Toby’s Lite Ranch
*If you prefer meatless entrees, try LightLife vegetarian ground beef!
This recipe makes approximately 6 servings of soup.
- Chop onion and bell pepper into fine pieces and set aside.
- On a medium saucepan, over medium heat, drizzle EVOO onto a pan. Toss the chopped onion, pepper, and ground turkey onto the pan; cook until meat is no longer pink. Use a spatula to break the meat into small pieces and turn it consistently until thoroughly cooked. Then turn off heat and set aside.
- In a medium or large crockpot, combine the turkey and onions along with all of the remaining ingredients except Toby’s Lite Ranch. Include the spices. Cover and set to Low for 6-8 hours, or High for 4-6 hours. Stir occasionally—every 2-3 hours, if possible.
- After soup has cooked and just before serving, add in 1-2 Tbsp. Toby’s Lite Ranch per bowl of soup. Stir until ranch is dissolved and soup is creamy. Top with cilantro, avocadoes, feta cheese, a dash of sour cream, a squeezed lime, or chips. Enjoy!
1 “Serving size” is approximately 1 ½ cups of soup. 1 serving has roughly 240 calories, 10 grams of healthy fat, 21 grams of carbohydrates, and 22 grams of protein—without toppings.